Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 4 May 2015

Playing with food at 1/800th second exposure

This is just a short post from me today as I am preparing for a "food photography" workshop that I am running at beautiful Lyndendale Gallery next week.

Recently a Photography Group of Bunbury topic was "Freeze Frame" - an image taken using a shutter speed at 1/800th second or more. 
I am very happy to say that I received a "silver" award for this image.



The most essential ingredient for this shot was to have a very patient partner to help you by pouring the wine. My husband fitted the bill - bless him. We tried many different glasses and many pours over an hour and a half. Pour, put back in the bottle, clean up, pour again. You need to take multiple shots of every pour.

In the end this shot won it for me with the way the wine sloshed up both sides of the glass and those drops bouncing off the rim. 

 Please click on "read more" to keep reading and seeing more pics

 
My set up was a shiny white tile on the kitchen bench with a piece of white perspex as the backdrop. I had a LED work light on the left hand side, and a white bounch board on the right hand side. I had my camera on a tripod. I used my 100mm macro lens and used all manual camera settings - Aperture F/3.5, - Shutter speed 1/800th sec, -ISO 400, - focal length 100mm, - spot metering, - no flash. 
I took the image in raw and then uploaded to Lightroom for initial post processing, with additional tweeks through a program I love called - Radlab. They are a collection of processing presets you can download from the web. 

Here are some other shots that didn't quite make the final cut - 



  On another day I played around again sifting flour over a ball of pastry. This was tricky to achieve by myself, so I preset the focus on the ball of pastry and used a cable shutter release for my camera. Cable release in one hand and flour sifter in the other - Tricky but I was happy with this result.  If you don't have a cable shutter release you could use your camera's self timer. 
For this shot I used my 50mm lens so I could stand closer to sift the flour as well as controlling the cable shutter release. Settings were F/2.8, 1/800sec, ISO 200, 50mm, Spot metering, no flash. 
Sadly this shot didn't make the grade with the judge at the photography group even though he said it was well executed. 




 Here is another experiment last year with noodles. It was very tricky to get the noodles to hang "just so" when you only have one hand to pick them up with the chop-sticks.


It's fun to experiment, especially if you have a friend to help.

fresh farm picked autumn Quinces
 Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
Agent Mystery Case
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday




 You might also like - 
Playing around with food and light
Cook it, plate it, take a pic, and then pack it for a picnic
And slices of quince which they ate with a runcible spoon


14 comments:

  1. I do love your food photography! Did I not live on the other side of the globe, I would definitely sign up for that workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much talent so I am not surprised you won an award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness Jill the first photo is fabulous, no wonder you won an award. Your husband was a good helper.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice set of images. You have a good helper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - fabulous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tips... I might give this a go. The wine glass is a great shot but I really like the flour. I can see why the judge didn't go for it as it is a little dark in places but I actually like the way that looks.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jill, how marvelous each of these are. You are so patient. I was going to share an image of just a glass of sparkling wine on Saturday following the KY Derby with a friend. I ended up having to posterize it, just to share. I am thinking that I have a very long way to go, so very proud for you~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jill, congrats on the award.. I just love the top shot.. Your food photography is awesome. Well done! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous captures Jill. Congratulations on your winning image. Each of the 3 shots of wine pouring that didn't make it, when viewed independently, is very pleasing to the eye, but it is easy to see why the winning shot was chosen. Some good tips shared here Jill - thank you. I subscribe to the DPS newsletter/website, and will look out for your contributions in future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jill, that first shot is a sure sure winner. It's worthy of its award and more. That sifting flour photo is another winner for me. Great job, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your photographs are wonderful but the judge had it right - the way the drops of wine seem to be suspended above the glass makes that image worthy of any magazine feature.
    bon dimanche
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the
    road. All the best

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.